I’ve had a random thought that won’t go away for the past one or two episodes now, and it’s not really a theory, it’s just an intriguing thought.
Basically, it’s this observation that maybe we the audience are a literal part of the POI universe.
I mean yes, we are watching them, but I think it’s a little more than that. I think that maybe the Machine is showing them to us.
So when the Machine doesn’t function correctly… we are no longer shown POI in the way it was intended to be shown.
That’s why last week it skipped to the Relevant list. That’s why we’re the ones who keep seeing the glitches, not Harold. That’s why each scene transitions using the feeds from surveillance cameras.
But if this is true in any way, the real question is - who told the Machine to show them to us?
an interesting theory, but IMO it’d be damn near impossible to write an entire tv show that silently breaks the fourth wall like that. the best example i can think of is the “Blink” episode of Doctor Who, where the weeping angels can’t move if anyone is looking at them — including the audience. So the camera, and therefore the audience, is tacitly acknowledged by the universe inside the show.
but with Person of Interest, the only parts we see from the POV of the machine are the connection screens of CCTV footage etc. the other 95% of the show is normal TV drama format, which is obviously not Machine footage. it’s definitely the case that we see glitches/footage that Harold doesn’t know about, but that’s more like the way we see John doing things that Carter doesn’t see, and vice versa. the transitional screens are the scenes in which the Machine is the main character, rather than the Machine speaking directly to the audience, i think.
as a storytelling technique it’s certainly less ambitious than the Machine communicating directly with the audience, but i think Relevence was definitely a step in the right direction towards acknowledging the Machine as an actual character — particularly if you do view those transitional screens as being “Machine scenes” the same way there are John scenes, and Harold scenes, and scenes from the POV of minor characters.
TBH, i think POI could (and should) go a lot further with the surveillance/Machine details than they already do. it was a nice start to see drone footage in the transitional scenes in Relevance — because it was an episode from the point of view of someone working for the “official” side of the machine, which would presumably use more government footage…? — but i feel like as it stands, POI has barely scratched the surface. by and large, the ~futuristic technology~ in POI comes across as a lot of old-school background check/law-enforcement database stuff, plus the undeniably frightening concept of a Machine that can access… well, everything. but i don’t think we see enough of the “everything”, if you see what i mean. it should be scarier.
and this time next year, will Google Glass be incorporated into the show? i’m pretty sure that POI takes place in an alternate universe rather than the “real world” where most TV shows exist, but i’ll be interested to see whether a Google Glass equivalent is introduced.
- dingelchen likes this
- shorlixa likes this
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- beili likes this
- darklysnarky reblogged this from judgebunnie
- muffinsandmatriarchy reblogged this from relevanttosomeone and added:
- muffinsandmatriarchy likes this
- relevanttosomeone reblogged this from judgebunnie and added:
- grimlypadfootedd likes this
- judgebunnie reblogged this from hellotailor and added:
- razmataaz likes this
- judgebunnie likes this
- hellotailor reblogged this from saulsgoodman and added:
- mrbone99red likes this
- ben-linus-lover likes this
- otimoneal likes this
- allonsyimpala likes this
- my-pocket-universe likes this
- eruditemonk likes this
- darklysnarky likes this
- the-alphakids-have-the-phonebox reblogged this from saulsgoodman and added:
- the-alphakids-have-the-phonebox likes this
- mamahub likes this
- virmiired reblogged this from saulsgoodman
- savhcaro likes this
- sparksel reblogged this from saulsgoodman and added:
- cmstarling likes this
- glowkind reblogged this from saulsgoodman
- pkmndaisuki likes this
- monsterofinterest likes this
- penemuel likes this
- livenudebigfoot likes this
- eyesofwitt likes this
- obsesiones-mias likes this
- girl-in-the-suit reblogged this from saulsgoodman
- girl-in-the-suit likes this
- caroloftheshells reblogged this from saulsgoodman
- caroloftheshells likes this
- hausoffandoms reblogged this from saulsgoodman
- dxmichelle said: Woah…that is nuts. I like it! :)
- dxmichelle likes this
- saulsgoodman posted this